Saturday, April 12, 2008

The waiting

Patience, who ever said it's a virtue sure as hell didn't know me. I lack it especially when there's something out there that I want and I know I can't have right now. If something/one interferes with my routine or has not met my expectations I will just about lose all cool. Right now I am in a waiting period by the U.S. postal service and it is driving me crazy. Most of you all know that recently Amanda and I just celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary, a milestone for both of us since we ended our previous marriages before the five year mark; we had to make it special. We began our celebrations on Saturday night with a toddler free dinner and a couple of drinks at the club Sunday was a relaxation and shopping day and finally Monday, our anniversary. I got up with Bella and made breakfast; half way through Amanda got up and "found" her anniversary gift on the table. Against my principles I bought her a purse she had been eyeballing (Dooney and Burke) and a pair of diamond earrings set in white gold. You ever meet a woman that could make a diamond look better? I have one. Anyway now it's my turn, I couldn't wait, I already had an idea of what I might be getting since I only gave Amanda two suggestions for my gift. One was a new dress watch (how traditional right) or a new bass, actually an acoustic bass! I even went so far as to save the musicians friend web site with the bass I wanted to our favorites. Well my lovely wife had forewarned me that my gift may not get here in time but a little piece of me was hoping that was a cover she was throwing down to throw me off a little so I wouldn't look around for a gift. Not so, she handed me three pieces of printer paper of the items she bought me for our anniversary, a picture of some guitar picks, another of a new guitar stand, and the third...there it was my new acoustic bass. She was serious, IT'S NOT HERE! I can't lie, and babe I know you’re going to read this but I was a little disappointed but thrilled at the same time I just wish the USPS would have hurried up. The day after I checked our mailbox and there is was a little yellow slip indicating we have a package to pick up. Holy crap, it was here my excitement grew bigger and bigger as I ran to the parcel pick up counter...I think I may have been dancing and probably looked like I had to pee a little. I'm next, I gave the clerk my yellow card and my ID, away he went only to return in a minute with what was definitely NOT MY GUITAR! I could hear the music in my head just like if I had lost a game of plinko on the "Price Is Right" "WHAA, WHAA, WHAAAAA". In this package was part of my gift, the picks and stands that Amanda purchased but for now the waiting continues. And it still continues to this day, almost a week later and nothing three weeks after she orders it, supposedly the thing shipped and we should be expecting it any day now. Until then I have to maintain a higher level of patience than what is usually expected of me, what a bunch of poop.



Look at the lonely little stand, kind of like a missing man formation.

1 comment:

The Blonde Hurricane said...

You totally remind me of Chuck. Whenever he's waiting for an instrument in the mail, he goes to the Post Office every day, anxiously checking the box. Any other time, he won't go near that place! Post office, what post office? :-) I hope it gets there soon, dude!